Thursday, 29 September 2011

Parsnip & Fennel Soup

This was an unexpected success and my other half loved it! Parsnip and Fennel didn't seem like obvious partners but it was what I had in the fridge so I thought I'd give it a try.  I'm pleased I did! I had thought the 'aniseed-iness' of the fennel would be overpowering but in fact it wasn't at all and the combination worked well.

Also not sure why I decided to make soup today, when summer seems to have returned and it's been baking hot outside and in all day.  I guess I've just got the soup bee in my bonnet!

This recipe makes about two large bowls of a fairly thick soup.

Parsnip & Fennel Soup

Ingredients
3 small parsnips (about 150g peeled weight)
1/2 large bulb of fennel (about 150g prepared weight)
1 Scallion shallot or small onion
1/2 litre vegetable stock
Sprinkling of cumin

Method
Roughly chop the vegetables.  Put all the ingredients, except the cumin, in a pan. Cook until soft. Blend with a stick blender. Garnish with a sprinkling of cumin and serve it with either the Pumpkin Seed & Oat Bread Rolls or the Flatbread with Fennel & Caraway Seeds

Approximate Nutritional Values per Serving
CaloriesFatSat FatProteinCarbsSugar
90 Kj0.40.02.520.84.1

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you thought of this, so if you can spare a little moment, please leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...