Friday, 20 January 2012

Tomato, Sweetcorn & Ginger Chutney

Tomato Sweetcorn & Ginger Chutney

I've been sitting on this blog post for some months now.  I made this chutney last year when the sweetcorn were in season but we hadn't actually eaten any of it till this week.

We had some the other night and it was a big hit.  I was told:  "That is the best chutney I have EVER eaten!" .  I quite liked it too and I'm glad I had the foresight to write down the recipe, as it looks like I might have to make it again.

500g tomatoes, chopped
430g cooking apples, peeled, cored & chopped
400g sweetcorn kernels stripped off the cob (3 ears corn)
1 large onion (170g prepared weight), finely chopped
200g butternut squash, peeled & finely chopped
120g chopped apricots, finely chopped
80g sultanas
50g crystallised stem ginger, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon mild chilli powder
1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
550 ml cider vinegar
450 g brown sugar

Put all the ingredients in a pan and heat gently until the vegetables & fruit start to give off liquid.  Turn up the heat and bring up to boiling point. Then simmer for about an hour or until all the vegetables & fruit are soft and the chutney reaches the desired consistency.

Spoon into clean, warm jars.  Leave it a 3 or 4 weeks before eating to allow the flavours to develop.

Tomato Sweetcorn & Ginger Chutney

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you thought of this, so if you can spare a little moment, please leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...