Monday, 12 March 2012

Slow Cooked Aromatic Brisket of Beef


Brisket of Beef
Just writing this one down so I can remember how I did it.

I've never cooked a brisket of beef before but we both really enjoyed this.  Being Sunday yesterday, I went out shopping with the idea of buying some meat to roast.  I didn't like the look of the chickens and the lamb was too expensive so I had to look beyond the usual.  I'm not a huge fan of roast beef as I I usually find it too tough unless you spend an absolute fortune on it.  Not having an unlimited budget, I thought I'd try slow cooking a cheaper cut and, with a nice mix of herbs and spices, it was deliciously tender with a ready made richly flavoured gravy to boot!

As a bonus, the three hours cooking time gave us plenty of time to saunter off to husband's favourite pub for a couple of pints of his favourite real ale!  And still back in time to put on the mash and the rest of the vegetables.

It's not the prettiest looking dish and you'll have difficulty making nice neat slices out of it!  However, it's tasty and I guess that's the most important thing.

Brisket of Beef Recipe

1 tspn olive oil
900 g brisket of beef
6 shallots, peeled but whole, or 2 large onions, peeled & quartered
2 cloves garlic, peeled & roughly chopped
2 bay leaves
1 tspn dried oregano
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1/4 tspn anise seeds
1/2 tspn ground cinnamon
4 pcs sundried tomatoes
150 ml red wine
250 ml veg stock
2 tspns cornflour

Serves 4

Method

Heat the oil in an ovenproof casserole pan, add the shallots & garlic and cook on a medium heat for a minute or two. Add the beef & seal it on all sides. Add all the other ingredients except the cornflour & bring the liquid up to boiling point. Cover & put in the oven at gas mark 3 & cook for 3 hours. If you can, turn the meat over a couple of times.

Mix the cornflour with a little cold water.  Remove the beef & skim any excess fat off the top of the liquids.  Add enough cornflour to the liquid to thicken to taste. Slice the beef & serve with the shallots etc & gravy.

Eat.  Fall asleep in front of the telly!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you thought of this, so if you can spare a little moment, please leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...